Sunday, October 12, 2008

On Deck: Ponytail Ice Cream Spiritual


The Baltimore scene has received some much overdue attention over the last few years.

Lily Allen linking up with Aaron LaCrate and posting up in The B.

Rye-Rye is laying it down, doing tracks with M.I.A.

Club Queen K-Swift (RIP) brought B-More to the forefront, as well.

Ponytail sounds nothing like any of these people. Their record, Ice Cream Spiritual is just left of stoner rock with super-fun guitars and wispy song structures.

The loose writing fits nicely with the Maryland traditions established, of late with fellow Baltimorons Avey Tare, Panda Bear and the Paw Tracks posse

Molly Siegel’s vocals are squeaky and cooey, but throaty screams make cameos.

This record is straight B-More backyard boogie redefined. By the 5th song when my speakers proclaimed, “OH NO, I’M LATE FOR SCHOOL!!” I had become a Ponytail fanatic…Pull My Fucking Hair

We Are Free!!!

No comments: