Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Have You Met Me? found photos/king eddys/6:17am











Sometimes I wake up quite early. My favorite thing to do on these occasions is to walk down to my morning bar, King Eddy’s Saloon.

The other day as I traipsed to the bar, before even the downtown coffee shops were open for business. I saw luggage and its contents strewn across the sidewalk and asphalt that compose the intersection of 5th street and Los Angeles.

This sort of disregard isn’t entirely uncommon as 5th and Los Angeles is the downtown mouth of skid row; the entrance and exit point of the city center for many stragglers and no-goodknicks.

As I rummaged, shoulder-to-shoulder with the half human/half vulture creatures that gathered around the hurricane pile of somebody’s last possessions. I came across a single photo album page, containing the above photos.

The thing that struck me about the photos besides the frantic circumstances that surrounded their discovery was the seemingly uneventful circumstances surrounding the scenes in the photographs themselves. They depict, essentially, some friends gathered in a suburban setting, having drinks and talking. No big whoop. These photos were so important to someone that they were among their very last possessions; the items that they held close to them as they were thrown into the realm of Los Angeles’ homeless population, only to have them torn from their grip and laid haphazardly about the entrance to King Eddy’s.

If you grew up, as I did, in a place like Phoenix or Riverside or Reno then these characters may look very familiar. I could easily see my parents mixed in with this relatively motley looking crew; Marlboro menthols, “Maui” t-shirts and all.

Also the dark-haired girl in Adidas cross-trainers is kind of fuckable.

No comments: